Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Layers of Art Supplies

I really wanted to do one project where the theme itself would be art. I chose to do this for my layering project. I thought it would be interesting if I could make it so I had layers of art supplies on top of each other.

To do this project, I first cut out 3 identical rectangles out of a foam board. I used acrylic paint to paint art supplies on each layer of the foam board. Then, I cut out the middle of the top two pieces with an exact-o-knife. Next, I cut out squares to add to the corners of the board so there would be some depth between each layer. I then added a border with black paper around the edges in order to keep the 3 pieces together. Finally, Mr.Sands suggested that I put plastic over the artwork to make it more interesting. I really liked this idea.

I chose acrylic paint because it was bold and easy to use. I chose to put them on foam boards because it was sturdy yet possible to cut open in the middle. There is no difference in value between all 3 layers. Each layer is equal in importance and simply add to the overall layering effect. I did, however, put the larger items on the bottom and the smaller art supplies (such as a pencil) on the top.

The biggest issue that I faced while working on this project is cutting out the pencils and paintbrushes in the top layer. This is because I had to be very careful not to cut the actual pencil/paintbrush. I also found that it was difficult to cut the foam board in general because of the thickness of the board.

This project was a risk because the idea itself was very different and not simply a painting or drawing. I improvised along the way and had to paint several details, such as when I was painting the oil pastels. As I mentioned before, cutting around the art tools was also a risk.

I used certain techniques to paint the supplies. I tried to use bold colors and very neat lines so that the art supplies would look realistic. "Concept" was another characteristic of my artwork. The mix of paint, foam boards, plastic, and improvisation led me to create a unique piece of art. Despite minor mistakes and errors, I was very happy with how the project turned out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment